49-51 West Broad Street
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
Open on Sundays in July 1 PM - 4 PM
For more information call 856-455-8580
Potter's Tavern was a popular meeting place just before the Revolution due to its proximity to the Cumberland County Courthouse. As revolutionary sentiment spread through the colonies, the humble tavern, then the principal hostelry in this County Seat, became "Bridgeton's Independence Hall. "
In 1775 at Christmas time, patriots published a manuscript newspaper called The Plain Dealer at Potter's Tavern in Cohansey Bridge. Dedicated to the cause of liberty, it in the strongest terms for separation from the Crown rule. Matthew Potter, tavern keeper, risking a charge of treason, thus became one of the unsung heroes of the Revolution. Some of the leading citizens who wrote articles included Dr. Jonathan Elmer, Dr. Lewis Howell, Richard Howell and Joseph Bloomfield. The latter two became governors of New Jersey.
Architecturally, the Tavern is an excellent example of the type of frame house built in New Jersey during the 17th and 18th century.