AARP Driver Safety Program Scheduled for January 19th and 20th in Bridgeton
January 9, 2012
Local seniors will have an opportunity to sharpen their driving skills and possibly reduce their auto insurance premiums during the monthly two-day AARP Driver Safety Program, scheduled for Thursday January 19th and Friday January 20th in Bridgeton.
The Cumberland County Office on Aging and Disabled is now taking registrations for the program, which will be held at the West Park United Methodist Church Hall at 625 Shiloh Pike in Bridgeton.
Participants will get instruction on how to operate their vehicles more safely in today’s challenging driving environment. They’ll get advice on adjusting to common age-related changes in vision, hearing and reaction time.
Among the highlights of the two-day, six hour course:
· How to minimize the effects of dangerous blind spots
· How to maintain the proper following distance behind another car
· The safest ways to change lanes and make turns at busy intersections
· Proper use of safety belts, air bags, anti-lock brakes, and new technologies used in cars
· Ways to monitor your own and others' driving skills and capabilities
· The effects of medications on driving
· The importance of eliminating distractions, such as eating, smoking, and cell-phone use
Space in the classes is limited, and registration is required.
To register, call: 856-453-2220
The cost is $14 ($12 for AARP members). Make check payable to AARP and mail to Office on Aging, 800 E. Commerce St., Bridgeton, NJ 08302.
What: AARP Driver Safety Program
Where: West Park United Methodist Church Hall
625 Shiloh Pike
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
When: Thursday, January 19th and Friday, January 20th
9:30 AM to 12:30 PM