Cumberland County Flag
Cumberland's pride in its Liberty Bell is reflected in its official flag. The banner is displayed in the Freeholders Room at the courthouse and is used on ceremonial occasions.
The flag was designed by J. Meade Landis and was adopted as the official insignia by the freeholders in 1955. Cumberland County split from Salem County in 1748, which is represented in the red lettering on the flag. The buff and sky blue of the diagonally quartered primary portion represent the colors of the uniforms worn by the Continental troops in the Revolutionary War. The insignia of a bell in the central portion of deep blue is a likeness of Cumberland's own Liberty Bell. The bell, bearing the date of independence, is surrounded by 14 stars positioned at random, each representing a municipal subdivision in the county at the time.