DISASTER SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (DSNAP)
TO AID RESIDENTS AFFECTED BY HURRICANE SANDY
DISASTER SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
CUMBERLAND COUNTY, NJ – The State of New Jersey and the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) have approved Cumberland to operate a Disaster Supplemental Assistance Program (DSNAP) for residents in specific zip codes of Cumberland County.
Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP)
- The NJ Department of Human Services will implement Disaster food assistance, called D-SNAP for individuals and families in certain counties, who are not already enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). The program will be administered locally by the Cumberland County Board of Social Services.
- D-SNAP is administered by the US Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Services through the Department of Human Services (DHS) and the counties.
- D-SNAP is a federal safety-net service for people who are at risk for hunger because their disaster-recovery expenses have left them without money to buy food; it is NOT a food replacement program for anyone who lost power and perishable food items.
- Applications for the program will begin on Monday, November 26 and run for seven business days, concluding on Tuesday, December 4th.
- It is important to emphasize that applications must be received during this enrollment period.
- Approved applicants will receive their benefits on an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card that only can be used for the purchase of grocery food items.
- DHS was approved to launch D-SNAP by zip-code only in Cumberland County. Those approved zip codes are: 08323, 08320, 08311, 08345, 08321, 08315, 08349, 08348, 08324, 08314, 08327, 08329, and 08316.
- Strict criteria must be met in order for people to qualify. Under the new rules, applicants in the designated zip codes must provide:
- Identification and proof of residency – a driver’s license, for example, would serve as both.
- Pay stubs and bank statements (cash, checking and savings) for the 30 days from October 28th through November 26th.
- Income eligibility is a little over 225% of the federal poverty level.
- Receipts that show more than $100 spent on disaster-related expenses between October 28 and November 26. The cost of replacing food cannot be included in the $100, but restaurant expenses are allowed.
- Other expenses may include:
- Temporary shelter in a motel
- Home/business repairs
- Evacuation expenses
- Disaster clean up
- Disaster related vehicle repairs
- Gasoline for a generator
- Replacement of personal items, such as clothing or household items, such as appliances, tools, educational materials.
NOTE: If any of the purchases were charged to a credit card, the resident must be able to document that they paid the credit card bill for these items by November 26th.
Applications will be taken on the dates/times below in the following locations:
Monday, November 26, Tuesday November 27, and Wednesday, November 28
Maurice River Township Community Hall
548 Main Street
Leesburg, NJ 08327
Thursday, November 29 and Friday, November 30
157 New Jersey Avenue
Fortescue, NJ 08321
Monday, December 3 and Tuesday, December 4
The family Success Center of Commercial Township
8879 Highland Avenue
Port Norris, NJ 08349
Monday, December 3
Greenwich Township Building
1000 Ye Greate Street
Greenwich, NJ 08323
- Current SNAP recipients may be eligible to receive a replacement allocation for October benefits, but they must come to the Cumberland County Board of Social Service, located at 275 North Delsea Drive in Vineland, to apply.