On-the-Job Training (OJT) Information
The Cumberland County One Stop Career Center job developers and professionals, through the OJT program, are able to provide a multitude of services for area businesses. The Cumberland County One Stop Career Center works with employers to ensure a successful on-the-job training experience. Our job developers and professionals save you time by learning your business needs and prescreening applicants. After the training contract is drawn, our staff continues to provide guidance and support to your new employees. Recognizing that most new employees need time on the job before they become fully productive, we can pay up to half their wages for up to six months while you teach them to do their job.
NOTE: OJT wage reimbursements cover standard work week hours only. An employee may work overtime while participating in OJT but the 50% reimbursement of wages will not be made for the overtime hours worked. Whether you are a small business owner with limited budget for training new employees, or a personnel manager for a large company who is experiencing difficulty in matching the proper workers to specialized job slots, there is a good chance that our On-the-Job Training (OJT) Program can assist you.
- Save by interviewing only a few prescreened applicants who possess interest and potential
- Increase the chance of getting the right employee through the One Stop Career Center's services for preparing referrals and arranging placements at no cost to you
- Ensure success after the training contract is drawn by utilizing the Center's continued guidance and support for your new employee
- Save money by sharing wage expenses during the training period
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR OJT, AN EMPLOYER MUST:
- Possess a Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN)
- Be in compliance with all Federal and State laws and regulations, including but not limited to EEO/AA, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Drug Free Work Place, and Wage and Hour Compliance laws and regulations
- Be in good standing - not disbarred, suspended or have outstanding audit debts - with any unit of Federal, State, County or Local government
- Where the OJT position is a collective bargaining unit represented position, obtain OJT participation concurrence from the collective bargaining unit that represents its employees
- Enter into a training contract with the Cumberland County Office of Employment and Training and/or one of its partner agencies or agents, if so designated, for On-the-Job Training activity
- OJT is available to any business/employer who meets the following employer and trainee/employee qualifications
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR OJT, A TRAINEE/EMPLOYEE MUST:
- Be a new hire (not previously or currently employed with your business
- Be employed on a full time basis (30 hours or more per week)
- Have an hourly or salary based pay structure (no commission based pay rates)
Have a starting pay rate of $7.69 or more per hour*
- Have a pay rate that is consistent with the pay rates established for other employees at your business in the same or a substantially equivalent job
- Not displace any current employee nor replace any employee who is on a layoff in the same or a substantially equivalent job
- Be training in a job that has a level of complexity that warrants training
*The minimum starting pay rate for OJT is calculated at 125% of the NJ Minimum Hourly Wage Rate and is therefore subject to change based on changes to NJ and/or Federal Minimum Wage Rates. Click here for the most up-to-date OJT Wage Guidelines.